Thursday, May 19, 2005

Baguettes by Dior


cannes
Originally uploaded by sarah4855.

I was in Cannes yesterday, in the middle of the Film Festival. Wow. I thought that Toronto went film festival crazy, but it is nothing compared to Cannes.

I was feeling a little out of place anyway. Sitting at a cafe on La Croisette, I felt very un-French, as I was missing a toy-sized dog dangling on a diamond studded leash and I did not have a baguette sticking out of my bag. But I was definitely un-Film Festival. I was not sporting an access pass, a clipboard, a microphone, an enormous camera, or Buddy Holly-esque glasses by Armani, Chanel, or Dior. It was fun to watch, though.

One thing did make me slightly homesick. The people lining up for the films were there to be seen, whereas those in the TIFF lineups seem actually interested in what they are there to view. I can assure you that when I crawled out of bed during last year's TIFF to see a morning screening, I was doing everything in my power not to be seen...

No comments: