Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Whelming

I am occasionally overwhelmed. In the best of ways. It happens, usually, during travel. Like when I found myself standing alone in the Gauguin room at the Hermitage in St. Petersburg: the quiet, the canvases all in front of me, the solitude, the hugeness of such a moment.

And yet, it happens also when (usually once a year) I take the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver. I used to take this trip every weekend as a teenager - commuting between school in Vancouver and my parents' home in Victoria and was completely jaded about it. I buried myself in textbooks and sometimes didn't even get out of my car. Now a dozen years later I find myself overwhelmed by the journey every time I take it. It's partly nostalgia, I realize, but also the solitude of the space (again), the salt smell, the kaleidoscope of muted colours, the clarity of everything in front of me. I never have my camera with me, but this week I did (for the purpose of taking a photograph of my very pregnant friend) so here you go.

1 comment:

Hilaire said...

I took the ferries all the time during a summer I spent on the coast, in '00. I just adored them. The last time I went back, I went on the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Gibsons - the one I'd taken the most often - and I *wept* at the beauty. The BC ferries are one of my favourite experiences in the world. Oh god, it makes me emotional just thinking about them!