Sunday, June 12, 2005

Frida Kahlo at the Tate


kahlo
Originally uploaded by sarah4855.

This weekend I went to the Frida Kahlo Exhibit at the Tate Modern. I didn't really know what to expect, partly because I think I am still disappointed by the atrocity that was the biopic Frida and partly because it might have been one of those exhibits that simply throws together 10 or 12 paintings and considers itself important. But to my delight, the exhibition was fantastic.

There were eleven rooms housing too many painting to count - still lifes, self-portraits, watercolours, preliminary sketches. The works are on loan from galleries and private collections all over the world - Madonna even lent two pieces to the show. I found that Kahlo's work was much more impressive and startling when viewed all together like this - particularly breathtaking was The Two Fridas. A preview of the exhibition can be viewed here.

No comments: