Monday, October 10, 2005

Literary News

Mere moments ago John Banville won the Man Booker Prize. A surprise win, as it often seems to be with the Booker over the past few years. I can't really comment on the award as the only novel from the shortlist that I've read is Zadie Smith's On Beauty, which I adored. Others have written far better reviews than I can and you can check out ones from the TLS and the New York Times.

Perhaps even more interesting than the awarding of the Booker Prize is the soon to be published memoir of Martyn Goff, who retired this evening after 35 years as administrator of the Booker. Now the scandals, secrets, and gossip can be confirmed and revealed when the tell-all is released by Simon & Schuster.

In other literary news, one of my favourite literary journals, Granta has been rescued by philanthropist Sigrid Rausing who has purchased the journal. Hoorah!

No comments: