Wednesday, August 09, 2006

A Tennis Snob No More


I realize that I'm a bit of a tennis snob. I fly to Wimbledon and the US Open every year (not to mention the other tennis tournaments that I haul myself onto a plane for) and though I'm generally in Toronto in August, I never go to the Rogers Cup. It's not as if this is some hick Canadian tournament - it's an ATP Masters Series event with the best players in the world competing for a purse of $2.45 million US.

It was a fun night - especially as I got to explain the entire game of tennis to the friend who accompanied me (and scored the tickets). There was a brief moment of utter hilarity when a racket was referred to as a bat but apart from that, I realized that I would make a killer tennis announcer. York University is in the middle of nowhere and frankly, was an ugly, scary place to be. But I was impressed with the main stadium of the Rexall Centre - it was like a cute, mini version of Arthur Ashe Stadium. We watched both Federer and Hewitt win their matches, but my prediction right now? Nadal takes it.

No comments: